What Happens If You Have an Accident with Someone with No Insurance?

Car accidents happen, every day, all over the world. If you happen to be involved in an auto accident, it can sometimes be a small comfort to know that coverage from car insurance – yours or the other driver’s – will likely kick in and provide help to pay for medical treatment and damage to your car. But what happens if the other driver does not have enough or any insurance? Find out what your options are in case you are in this type of situation by consulting an experienced personal injury lawyer in Sonoma County.

What Happens If the Other Driver is Not Insured?

If you have been in an auto accident, and the other driver does not have insurance, a lot depends upon the laws in your state. If you are in California, you have a couple of options, including the following:

1. Filing a Lawsuit Against the Other Driver: If the car accident you were involved in was caused by the other driver, you have the option of suing them directly as a means to go after their personal assets. However, there is a slight problem with this solution. If the other driver does not maintain even the minimum required liability insurance, it is highly likely that they will not have any valuable assets that you can go after, unless their policy lapsed accidentally. The solution that is best for you is filing a claim against your own insurance policy.

2. Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage: When you are involved in an auto accident with someone who is not insured, you may need to turn to your own insurance policy to cover the damages resulting from the accidents – this is assuming you have UM/UIM (uninsured/underinsured motorist) coverage. This is an important type of coverage that protects you if you have been in a motor vehicle accident with someone who is not insured and found to be at fault. All auto insurance policies in California are required to include UIM coverage, unless the coverage is waived in writing by the policy holder.

Seek the Help of a Personal Injury Lawyer in Sonoma County

When you have been involved in a car accident caused by someone else’s negligence or recklessness, it is always a good idea to seek the help of a reputable personal injury lawyer in Sonoma County at Debra A. Newby Law Offices. If the other driver is at fault, and does not have insurance, your lawyer will take the necessary steps to ensure that you receive compensation. Call us today at 707-303-5062 for a free consultation.