What is the Worth of My Personal Injury Case?

The very first question many clients ask a car accident attorney in Sonoma County is how much their personal injury case is worth. This is perhaps the most commonly asked question, and yet one of the most difficult one to answer without proper evaluation. Each case is different, and the value of your case simply cannot be decided without reviewing and understanding all the details of your case, including medical records, bills, and the facts surrounding the accident itself. Be it a car accident, slip and fall accident, or any other kind of injury.

There are essentially three types of compensation a client filing a personal injury case might receive:

Economic damages that will cover medical bills and lost wages: As a plaintiff, you can seek for compensation for all the costs that you may have borne for medical treatment including the amount you will have to pay for future medical care. It is quite straightforward to calculate past medical expenses by simply adding up your bills. Estimating your future costs may be more challenging, and will require the assistance and opinion of a medical expert.

As with medical bills: You may also seek damages for lost wages due to absence of work owing to the accident. You can also file for compensation for future lost wages if you cannot work due to your injuries. Records such as pay stubs and timesheets can help prove your past lost wages while also helping to estimate future lost wages. If your injuries are severe, and may prevent you from ever returning to a job, you will need to solicit the assistance of economic and vocational experts so as to determine the extent of your losses.

Non-economic damages to compensate for pain and suffering: Aside from the above-listed tangible losses, as a victim of a car accident, you may also recover or file for compensation toward intangible damages such as emotional distress, pain and suffering, permanent disability, and even permanent disfigurement.

Punitive damages: In certain cases, wherein the at-fault party displays negligence or recklessness, and must be punished to avoid the damaging behavior from occurring again, you may also file for punitive damages. However, this will require a finding or judgment by a court that the other party was grossly negligent. This may also require for you to go to court, and hence is often seen as a last resort.

If you or a loved one has been in a car accident and sustained injuries, waste no time! Contact an injury lawyer in Santa Rosa today at Newby Law. You will get the expert counsel of the best car accident attorney in Sonoma County who will review your case for free, and ensure that you receive a fair compensation. Call today at 707-303-5062 to schedule a free consultation.